Host: Ron Beard, University of Maine Cooperative Extension
Studio Engineer: Amy Browne
Issue: Community concerns and opportunities
Program Topic: Looking Back, Looking Ahead—the work of Maine Community Foundation
Key Discussion Points:
1. What is a community foundation, what is the brief history of community foundations and of Maine Community Foundation (MCF) in particular?
2. What is the array of services that MCF provides to non-profits and community groups, and to donors?
3. What led you to your work with MCF… you were with Maine Development Foundation… what of that work with MDF helped you as you took on your work at MCF
4. How is MCF organized and staffed?
5. Role of “county funds” and advisors (examples from Hancock, Waldo, Washington Counties)
6. How does Maine stack up in terms of chartable giving? (is there a difference between charitable giving and philanthropy?)
7. What are some of the changes you have led or encouraged at MCF, and how do these relate to the wider world of philanthropy? What is the balance between MCF responding to community needs and a kind of leadership- fostering longer-term strategies, including collaboration? Where and with whom is MCF collaborating these days?
8. What are some of the trends that you see in how community groups and non-profits see themselves, and how others see them… is there more of a sense of these groups serving as safety-nets as local, state and federal government contracts? What does this mean for some of the aspirations of groups in the arts, education, conservation to lift our spirits and intellect?
9. What are some of the trends that you see in the donor community? We see forecasts of a major transfer of wealth ahead… how philanthropy play out in that trend?
10. Practical details—how do both donors and community groups find out more about potential partnerships with MCF?
11. You have a year left at the helm… what will you be working on?
Meredith Jones, President, Maine Community Foundation
Karen Stanley, Board Member, Maine Community Foundation
Jo Cooper, Executive Director, Friends in Action, Ellsworth
Todd West, Principal, Deer Isle-Stonington High School