Producer/Host: Ron Beard
Studio Engineer: Amy Browne
Issue: Community concerns and opportunities
Program Topic: Community Response to Domestic Violence
Key Discussion Points :
What is domestic abuse?
• Tactics of abuse
What is Extent of the problem in Hancock and Washington Counties
• Next Step statistics
• Other statistics and information
• Other trends from the perspective of law enforcement
What are the signs of abuse and what can someone to do help?
What are services offered by Next Step
• Hotline: Who can use the hotline, who works on the hotline
• Emergency shelter: information about trends in shelter
• Transitional housing: what is the benefit, the need, the availability
• Other services: face to face advocacy, support and education groups
• Advocacy in court
• Community education, training, and consultation
Trends in the community’s perception of and response to DV
• What has changed since the first shelters opened in the 70’s?
• What is on the horizon for assessing risks?
• How should we be organizing ourselves as a community to
further enhance our response to DV?
How can community members become effective allies for those who are targets or suspected targets of domestic violence?
Rebecca Hobbs, Exec. Director, Next Step
Lt. Rod Charette (Commanding Officer, Maine State Police Troop J),
Rick Doyle (Staff Attorney, Next Step)