Producer/Host: Natalie Springuel
Maine coastal and ocean issues: Whale mortalities in the Northwest Atlantic
Key Discussion Points:
1. Why did 16 right whales die in the Gulf of Maine and Gulf of Saint Lawrence in 2017?
2. What is the role of climate change in these mortalities?
3. How does the movement of prey affect whale movements?
4. How does Canada differ from the US in how it manages ocean uses and how that management correlates to whales ecology and movement? ?
5. How do necropsies (animal autopsies) help determine cause of death?
Sean Todd, the director of the marine mammal research group Allied Whale, and professor of oceanography at College of the Atlantic
Zack Klyver, lead naturalist at Bar Harbor Whale Watch company and founder of Flukes international whale tours.