Host/Producer: Rhonda Feiman
Co-Producer: Petra Hall
Technical assistance: Joel Mann & Amy Browne
Osteoporosis: The myths and facts in diagnosis, new developments in screening technology, and the pros & cons of current treatment options
Key Discussion Points:
1. What are some ideas and strategies to keep your bones strong and healthy?
2. What are some ways to be safe in your house and with your everyday activities to try to prevent debilitating falls?
3. What is osteoporosis?
4. Why is bone density difficult to measure?
5. What is a DXA scan? How are DXA scans interpreted?
6. What is a Trabecular Bone Score (TBS)?
7. Why should Trabecular Bone Score software be used to interpret the results of your DXA scan?
8. What is osteopenia, and why is this a controversial diagnosis?
9. What are the pros and cons of current medicines being prescribed for osteoporosis, including biophosphonates such as alendronate (Fosamax), etidronate (Didronel) & zoledronic acid (Zometa), and monoclonal antibodies, such as denosumab (Prolia)?
10. How has pharmaceutical company research & marketing impacted and influenced medical diagnosis and treatment of bone density and osteoporosis?
Cindy Pearson, the former Executive Director of the National Women’s Health Network of Washington, D.C.
She is one of the nation’s best-known advocates for women’s health, and is well known for her leadership in bringing grassroots organizations together to press for accountability from the government and other powerful entities. Cindy Pearson often testified before Congress, the National Institutes of Health and the FDA, and was frequently featured in the news as a consumer expert on women’s health issues.
Website of Interest: National Women’s Health Network
About the host:
Rhonda Feiman is a nationally-certified, licensed acupuncturist practicing in Belfast, Maine since 1993. She primarily practices Toyohari Japanese acupuncture, using gentle and powerful non-insertion needle techniques, and also utilizes Chinese acupuncture and herbology. In addition, Rhonda is a practitioner of Qi Gong and an instructor of Tai Chi Chuan in the Yang Family tradition.