Producer/Host: Sara Trunzo & John Zavodny
Engineer: Amy Browne
Issue: People, events, and ideas in mid-coast, Maine
Program Topic: Food Education in Maine
Key Discussion Points:
1. What is Matthew Kenney Cuisine Culinary Academy?
2. Why are people coming to mid-coast Maine for food education?
3. What are Saltwater Farm and Sailor’s Rest Farm?
1. Matthew Kenney | American celebrity chef, author, speaker, educator and entrepreneur specializing in plant-based food. He has authored 11 cookbooks and is the founder of Matthew Kenney Cuisine, an integrated lifestyle company as well as the Matthew Kenney Culinary Academy, a raw food education center offering courses online, in Santa Monica, CA, Belfast, Maine and Miami, FL.
2. Annemarie Ahearn | Raised in Milwaukee, Annemarie Ahearn spent her childhood summers in Maine at her family’s blueberry farm on Blinn Hill in the town of Dresden. After attending Colorado College, she studied Provincial cuisine in Provence and studied at the Institute of Culinary Education in New York City. In 2009, Annemarie moved to Maine to build a recreational cooking school, with the help of her family. Salt Water Farm is the culmination of her experience in the food industry, her culinary travels, and a deep appreciation for traditional methods of cooking locally sourced ingredients.
3. Ladleah Dunn | Ladleah was born on an organic farm in Maine where her family ran a bakery on Vinalhaven. She began her own cooking career while attending Maine Maritime Academy in Castine, where she cooked meals for the sail training students and crew on the school’s schooner Bowdoin. She and her husband spent several years living aboard their sailboat and travel abroad before returning back to Maine to start Sailor’s Rest Farm. They raise sheep, ducks, chickens, and mixed produce under cultivation in open field and high tunnel. Ladleah became active in the local food scene cooking with long time local food advocate Stacey Glassman’s Swan’s Way Catering, apprenticing in cheese making with Appleton Creamery and collaborating with Annemarie Ahearn in Salt Water Farm. Ladleah works with Hurricane Island Foundation, Maine Farmland trust and The Maine Grain Alliance teaching workshops and cooking at farm to table dinners.
For More Information: